Human Trafficking Prevention Education and Training Act (2017)
Supervising Deputy Attorney General, Maggy Krell (Left) and CEO/Co-Founder of 3SFG, Ashlie Bryant (Right)
3Strands Global Foundation sponsored AB 1227 by Assemblyman Bonta (D-18), which was supported throughout the legislative process by both Republicans and Democrats, and signed by Governor Brown on October 7, 2017. Because of this critical piece of legislation, California public schools will now be required to teach California’s school-age population how to avoid becoming victims of exploitation, help them understand the problem of human exploitation and learn ways to address the problem through service initiatives
beginning January 1, 2018.
Specifically, AB 1227 requires:
- Educators, at least once in middle school and once in high school, to provide instruction to students on human trafficking including:
- The prevalence, nature, and strategies to reduce the risk of human trafficking
- Techniques to set healthy boundaries
- How to safely seek assistance
- Training to be available and conducted periodically to enable school district personnel to learn about new developments in the understanding of abuse, including sexual abuse, and human trafficking, and to receive instruction on current prevention efforts and methods.
- County Offices of Education and County Sheriff’s Departments to be represented as part of their local Commercially Sexually Exploited Children (CSEC) Program.
Press Release: Governor Brown Signs AB 1227 (Bonta) into Law – 10/09/17
Prior Law (Section 51934 of the Education Code):
- In grades 7-12, students must receive comprehensive sexual health education at least once in middle school and once in high school.
- This instruction shall include information on:
- Sex trafficking
- HIV prevention
- Sexual harassment
- Sexual assault
- Adolescent relationship abuse
- Intimate partner violence
- School districts can contract with outside consultants or guest speakers that have been trained in the appropriate courses or train school district personnel how to provide such instruction.